Business Card

Business Card

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Learning Hand Piecing Diamonds/ Tumbling Blocks

























I spent the weekend teaching myself how to hand piece diamonds.  I wanted to learn how to sew a y seam, and I only found one video that helped me.  It was Jinny Beyer's.  The only problem is that I am left handed, so I had to reverse it.  I was addicted to hand piecing, and it was so easy.  I can't believe I was so afraid to learn the concept.  Then I wanted to know how to attach them into the quilt, and I couldn't find anything with the order to attach them.  Everything that I found was either sewing with paper templates, or sewing strips of fabric together, and then cutting them into diamond shapes already attached.  I didn't want anything that dealt with paper.  I used items that I had around the house, and that consisted of notebook paper, and crayola pencils, and a ruler.  I am not very good at measuring things, so the notebook paper made it extremely easy.  Of course going through this process, I finally figured out a much easier way to accomplish what I wanted to do.  I ended up pulling this apart, and remarked the pieces.  I figured out how to get everything to align perfectly.  I know this has been done numerous times before, I just didn't know how to do it.  I will post pictures of my new progress tomorrow.  I hope all of you have a good week, and thank you for visiting.  Here is Jinny's Y Seam Video link.  I think it is the best hand piecing video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08AlOM5COBU

No comments: